• From Sunday 1st May the castle will be open every Sunday from 10:00 to 13:00
    (last admissions at 12:30) and from 15:00 to 20:00 (last admissions at 19:30)  +39 0964 866287
Monumental complex

Carafa Castle


The Castle is located on a rocky promontory at 104 meters above sea level and it dominates the entire village.

Founded in the Norman period by Gualtieri De Collepietro, later the property passed to the Ruffo family for several generations, then to Galeotto Baldaxi (the Baldassino or Bardassino of the chronicles) a character known for his military exploits during the war of King Alfonso.

 

 

Following, to the Marquis of Crotone Antonio Centelles and then, from 1479 to 1806, to the noble family Carafa della Spina from which it has been partially restructured and restored.

This monumental building, powerful in its structure, constituted an impregnable bulwark, resisting the assaults of the Turkish corsair Dragut Pascià in 1553.

Numerous are the ruins of the noble palace, preserving a magnificent lithic portal in limestone, surmounted by the coat of arms and eroded by time, of the princes Carafa della Spina. Once you've entered from to the entrance portal (once a drawbridge) attention is drawn to a monumental balcony with carved and figured shelves (“mascheroni”).

 

 

The palace is enriched inside by a paved courtyard with eight channels star shaped.

From the courtyard there is access to the upper floors via the main staircase where there were private apartments of the princes, while on the ground floor there is access to rooms for various uses (kitchens, warehouses, etc).

 

 

 

Inside the courtyard you can see a well embedded in the wall and along the same the entrance door to the elegant spiral staircase in limestone.
Adjacent to the building is the Matrice Church of S. Nicola di Bari, in Jonic baroque style. The church had a small crypt, called catacombs and valuable altars in polychrome marble, places in the new Matrice Church still now, two of which have been declared national monuments.

The church is attached to the palace of the Princes Carafa and the noble family through a small hallway “coretto” now destroyed, and it gave access directly into the sacred building.

In the bell tower of the Church was installed a clock that rang the hours on the bell, whose circular footprint is still visible.